Friday, May 28, 2010

Mollusca

It has been raining a lot here. The conifers, upright like sentinels against the murky sky fail to keep the ground from getting wet. From the institute to the guest house is a short but steep walk. The curved path and the steps made from chipped stones through the vegetation (not so dense that they can be called woods) often have a slow creature crossing. The first day I met it, I tried to impose my authority, by turning it upside down, but then returned it to its original orientation. From then on I met it several times. However, never did I see two of them at the same time on the path. At our old home, I saw lots of them during the monsoons, but this one, the flesh is white, pale white. The shell helps it camouflage, and everytime I have to search for it.

One day while searching for it, I discovered another creature, new one for me. You can say it’s a snail without a shell. It’s all yucky, more so if you step on it. If it has some predator with good eyes, only way it can come out alive, is to expect that the predator has some pity for ultra-slow creatures.


6 comments: