Thursday, July 8, 2010

European Trains

Europe by trains is an experience by itself. No, I am not paid by Eurail for this post, but really I am all praise for trains and the associated services here. All places around Germany, are mostly not more than a few hours journey away. From Heidelberg, Paris was 4 hours, Amsterdam - 5, Brussels-4, and Zurich-3. That explains why we could see so many places.

Each of these European countries have some superfast train. France has TGV (top speed: 550kmph), Germany- ICE(400 kmph), Austria - Railjet (350 kmph), Belgium – Thalys (300kmph) and Italy has Eurostar Italia (300kmph). Switzerland didn’t go for speed, but has a barrage of scenic trains, spread all over the land-locked country.

For local transporation, there are a variety of trains available too. Suburban Bahns and double-deckered Regional Bahns in Germany are for this purpose.

ICE-3

Inside a coach in Netherlands

TGVs in Paris East station

Aachen Main station

Golden Pass train in Switzerland

I made more than 75 train rides during the past two months, covering about 4000-5000 kms. Of course, without the Eurail pass, things would have been way too expensive.

The stations are impressive too. I never faced any problem finding my way. There were automatic ticket and information machines everywhere. Although, we bought a wrong ticket at Salzburg, it was more of our mistake than theirs.

Their sense of accountability to the public is really commendable. Some line repairs were going on for a stretch near Berlin. So the rail made arrangements for special bus services for the intermediate stations.


Köln Hauptbahnhof

Inside a train engine

A station in Austria

Eurostar Italia

10 comments:

  1. Architakamal MitraAugust 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM

    the looks so sexy indeed....mst have had lots of fun travelling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i mean the trains.........lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful article! That is the kind of info that should be shared around the internet.
    Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post upper!
    Come on over and seek advice from my web site . Thanks =)

    Also visit my web site: Dreambox

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cool! I do not believe I've truly read a single thing like this before. So wonderful to find someone with original thoughts on this issue. Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is something that is required on the web, someone with a little originality!

    Also visit my web site :: http://virilityex.herbalcurenow.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings! Very useful advice within this article!
    It is the little changes that produce the biggest changes.
    Many thanks for sharing!

    Here is my blog http://breastactivesonline.postbit.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?


    Take a look at my page; African Mango Plus

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off I want to say excellent blog! I had a quick
    question that I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I was curious to find out how you center yourself and
    clear your mind prior to writing. I have had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my
    thoughts out. I do enjoy writing however it just
    seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any suggestions or hints? Many thanks!

    Feel free to visit my website; altawhite.eklablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is very open with a very clear explanation of the issues.
    It was definitely informative. Your site is very useful.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Feel free to surf to my webpage: alta white

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks in support of sharing such a fastidious idea, article is nice,
    thats why i have read it entirely

    My website - buy deer antler plus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog site in Chrome, it looks fine
    but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that,
    amazing blog!

    Visit my weblog; http://Bowtrolcoloncontrol.Herbalcurenow.com

    ReplyDelete